Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My first blog post


So this is my first blog post, and I guess I should start out my introducing myself. My name is Brenna and I have begun a small jewelry business called All That Glitters. That I suppose is my first motive in blogging, getting my name out there... I joined etsy.com and absolutely love everything it has to offer. The artists there and the wealth of knowledge they share is a great asset to have. As I said, I just began making jewlery.


My interest in jewelry designing and making came from my friend Janice. She was placing orders for beads and stones on FireMountainGems.com and asked if I might be interested in placing an order jointly. Being a kind-of craft fanatic, I agreed. Now I can't seem to get enough. I find myself surfing through the paper for designs and looking on the internet for new fashion trends. My sister-in-law is very trendy and keeps me up to date on what is fashionable. It helps me becuase I am a little out of the loop.


I graduated from Western Kentucky University in 2006 with a bachelor's of science in agriculture business....? what....? I know, what the heck is a crafty, married type going to do with that. I'll tell you what, pay student loans back, and start their own internet/home business. SO, that's what I am gonna do!


I married my best friend Clint in September of 2007, and its been the best ride of my life! I love learning new things about him, even though we've been together for nearly three years. He is the most kind, generous, hard working person I know. He makes me want to be a better person everyday!


I suppose that is what got me into the whole crafty mode, being a new wife and having a little extra time on my hands. I have a job working with Clint at his sign business. (Another thing to admire him for, never going to college and creating a successful business from the ground up!) I answer phones, take orders, help put a few things together, and other odds and ends. It provides me with oodles of extra time. At first, I started sewing, quilting, cooling, scrapbooking, gardening, etc. Nothing quite stuck as much as the whole jewlery making endeavor. I swear I am hooked.


I just placed an order with fire mountain gems on Thursday the 3rd of July. Cannot wait until it hits the door. Its like Christmas, except I paid for it! Don't care, not a single bit, because half the time I forget what it was I ordered.


My mother in law has made a special request for a necklace with clear and smoky colored quartz crystals. I think it will be fantastic. I especially like the tan leather cord I am going to use! As much as I would like to, I cannot take creadit for the design this time. I think she saw somethinkg similar to it on Dillards website. Regardless, I am happy to have a customer, mother in law or not.


Coming up.... I am getting information together to host a jewelry party!!!! The prospect of having girlfriends over to wine, dine, and shop is very exciting; however, I just wonder what they will think of my designs. Furthermore, what will I do if I don't sell the volume I anticipate, or even worse, nothing at all. Its giving me butterflies just thinking about it. God, help me! But I wouldn't be making jewlery if I didn't think I had a shot, so I'll focus on the task at hand!


I am going to get off here and get back to work. Today is a lazy day at work for me, the guys are out installing a big set of signs at the new Western Kentucky Orthopaedics building and I am in the office answering the few random calls that come in. QUIET!! I can get down to busienss now!


TTYL~ Brenna

-think I am really gonna get into the blog thing!

No comments: