Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hope and Optimism

In Sunday School this past week we had a neat exercise. The teacher passed out a piece of paper and asked us to assign four words to describe HOPE each starting with the first letters of the word. I struggled with this, but several came up with great ideas.

H-heaven
O- optimism
P-perserverence
E-eternal life

It was interesting to see that several used optimism for the O word. Also further, it was interesting that the root meaning of the word optimism is "best". Optimists think positively in general, while Hope I feel is more specific and tied to a spiritual peace. The root meaning of hope is "to expect".

A man in my class said something very significant to me. On the way to church, his daughter mentioned that her mother had told her she had faith in her to do something, but she didn't know what faith meant. She was encouraged by her father to look faith up in her bible. She read the definition provided and then told her father, "Oh, so through faith we have hope." How perfect! That right there, was my explanation; my understanding of the difference between hope and optimism came like a rush of electricity to a light bulb. Its my faith that gives me hope; hope to steam ahead everyday not knowing what will face me. It may be trying or difficult, but my faith gives me the hope to perservere and complete each day with a smile in my heart and on my face. Optimism is a tool that God has given me to spread that hope to others.

Its amazing how lessons learned can be presented by the most innocent of us, a child. I have so much to learn from the faith of a child.

For some great reading, check out this passage from the bible. It gives us a great understanding of Hope. 1 Corinthians 15: 35-58 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1corinthians%2015:35-58&version=50;

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Oh, you explain it so well. I loved your post. Thank you.